Extending zfsboot.c to allow selecting filesystem from boot.config

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 20 09:49:15 UTC 2011

on 19/11/2011 22:19 Florian Wagner said the following:
>> on 19/10/2011 19:21 Florian Wagner said the following:

Andriy Gapon has not said anything in the quoted material? :-)
Please set up your mail client correctly or get used to adding quote
attributions manually.  They do matter.

>>> Yes. For a boot.config with "rpool:root/something:" it prints:
>>>
>>> Booting from Hard Disk... /boot.config: rpool FreeBSD/x86 boot Default:
>>> rpool:/boot/zfsloader boot: <CURSOR>
>>

>> Thank you very much for your testing and reports! Please see these
>> additional changes: http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/zfsboot.fixes.diff
>
> Thanks for the additional patch. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking
> for.
>
> Sadly your patches (tested with and without the latest one) seem to break
> booting on RAID-Z2 arrays. The prior test, for which I've reported success
> were using a VM with only a single disk. Today I tried the patched
> bootloader on my fileserver with a 6 disk RAID-Z2 array. That didn't go so
> well:
>
> Installing the modified gptzfsboot results in a blinking screen with
> turquoise-striped ASCII background and assorted characters in the
> foreground.

Not good.  Probably a memory corruption.

> Installing the modified zfsloader (but unmodified gptzfsboot) makes it
> unable to find its root dataset:

Patched zfsloader requires certain information to be passed from (gpt)zfsboot,
which only the patched version provides.

[snip]

> A zfsloader built without your patches boots the system.
>
> Any more information I can provide?

Please try to use zfsboottest (formerly zfstest) and a debugger to see where
the problem is.  I also would appreciate your testing the latest sys/boot code
in head or stable/9.

--
Andriy Gapon