make the experimental NFS subsystem the default one

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun May 1 16:32:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Rick Macklem wrote:

> I don't know anything about ZFS, but I would think that, if you see a
> major performance improvement, that ZFS isn't committing stuff to logs
> so that data won't be lost.
>
> Maybe the ZFS folks can comment? (I don't remember seeing the details
> of what you change? If you sent a patch, sorry, but I've misplaced it.)

Zfs will loose as much as 5 seconds worth of data (and maybe even 10
seconds) if the data is written slowly and/or the server has quite a
lot of RAM.  It commits data in order so the written data will be
completely coherent for that snapshot in time, but the result may
still be completely corrupted from the client's perspective.  5 (or
10!) seconds of data could be quite a lot of data, and could represent
entire new directory trees, or large directory trees which were
removed.  Individual file content could be overwritten hundreds of
times before the point where the server arbitrarily decides to commit
it.

If the server bounces, its data won't match what the client thinks it
should have.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn