fixing a busted ZFS upgrade

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Thu Mar 31 06:34:36 UTC 2011

On 7/29/10 3:18 PM, Martin Matuska wrote:

> For recovering a system that does not boot anymore, you can use mfsBSD
> ISO's:
> http://mfsbsd.vx.sk
>
> You can boot from the iso and repair the boot record.

Nearly a year ago mfsBSD saved me from a munged 8.0->8.1 upgrade of a
ZFS box and allowed me to revive a ZFS root partition.

I've done the same stupid thing again in moving from 8.1 to 8.2, only
now the server won't boot from the 8.2 mfsBSD ISO, or the 8.1 ISO. In
both cases it hangs at loader.conf.

Thanks in advance for any clues on reviving this system.

dn

I recommend you check your gpart partitions with "gpart show" and verify