RAID-Z in a disk-failure.

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Mar 26 15:23:37 UTC 2011

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011, Anders Andersson wrote:

> Have I missed something in this scenario?

I think that your summary is pretty accurate.  However, it is worth
noting that zfs stores redundant copies of metadata blocks, and may
optionally store redundant copies of user data blocks.

Zfs offers raidz2 for the same reasons that storage array vendors
offer RAID6 (vs RAID5).  With today's large disks, a secondary data
failure is not unlikely.

If you use zfs mirroring or raidz1, then a periodic zfs scrub is
recommended in order to decrease the possibility of secondary data
failure.  I would definitely do an initial zfs scrub after initially
populating a pool with data.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn