tying down adaX to physical interfaces

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 06:15:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com>wrote:

> I've mentioned this before -- and I'm certain others will point out that
> said problem was fixed, etc. etc. (done so before, and I've simply
> forgotten) -- but there are complexities introduced into the fray when
> using glabel(8) and similar utilities.  There have been complaints on
> the lists about it.  I've had a very, very long week and can't be
> bothered to dig up the evidence; sorry.

FWIW, I believe you are referring to geom metatdata/GPT secondary table
conflict.  If you put a label on a GPT partition, it will overwrite it's
backup GPT table.  You'd want to do something like glabel the raw device,eg
ada0 then create GPT partitions on the resulting device.  This setup works
fine, but is going to be a FreeBSD specific disk.  Just using a GPT label on
partition that spans the entire device may be more desirable depending on
needs.

--
Adam Vande More