zfs v28 - 8.2 Release

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:53:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM, iMx <imx at streamvia.net> wrote:
> Ive applied the patch for v28 for FreeBSD 8.2 - however do i now need to perform essentially a 'make world' (albeit not doing just that, but doing things in the right order ;)?

Update/download the source tree.
Apply the ZFSv28 patch to the source tree.
Go through a buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld cycle.
Test that you have ZFSv28.

Then you can create a custom kernel configuration file, and do a
buildkernel/installkernel cycle to install the new kernel.

> I am currently using the mfsbsd ISO with it pre-compiled, but need to recompile the kernel for ALTQ support - can i just rebuild the kernel? Or would checking out the source from sysinstall and updating result in a zfs module that does not support v28? Which i would expect....

Don't use sysinstall once the system is installed.  Use the tools that
come with the OS (csup, svn, portsnap, freebsd-update, etc).  Trying
to use sysinstall after the syste is installed will cause you no end
of grief.  It's not a system management tool.  Don't try to use it
like one.  :)

> If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

See above.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com