HAST + ZFS causes system to shutdown uncleanly?

Thomas Johnson tom at claimlynx.com
Thu Mar 17 21:00:41 UTC 2011

(replying again with the list CCd)

Adding the hastd to the REQUIRE in zfs does not have any effect; although
I'm not even sure if /etc/rc.d/zfs gets called during shutdown ('rcorder -k
shutdown /etc/rc.d/*' would seem to indicate that it does not. I am using
devd/CARP to manage my pools, but it seems to me that if the zfs rc script
were running on shutdown it would handle this case properly, since the zfs
script appears to simply run a 'zfs unmount -a'. I did add/test with
enable_zfs=YES in my rc.conf, to no avail.

A shutdown hook was my thought too.

Also, to clarify an omission in my initial email, the vm hangs after the
"All buffers synced." message on shutdown.