kern/155411: [regression] [8.2-release] [tmpfs]: mount: tmpfs : No space left on device

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci at p6m7g8.com
Thu Mar 10 15:30:18 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR kern/155411; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci at p6m7g8.com>
To: Gleb Kurtsou <gleb.kurtsou at gmail.com>
Cc: <bug-followup at FreeBSD.org>, <pgollucci at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: kern/155411: [regression] [8.2-release] [tmpfs]: mount: tmpfs
 : No space left on device
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:28:26 +0000

 --------------enig2D2A45DAF19A5900C29D42FA

 I/we would be glad to test it; however, we'll have to schedule since the
 computers in question are both front facing ASF services.

 On 03/10/11 12:53, Gleb Kurtsou wrote:
 > Could you test the patch. It changes the way tmpfs grows, sets
 > filesystem default size to half of RAM by default.  Tmpfs no longer
 > depends on inactive/wired memory stats, but checks if swap is nearly
 > full. I've added vfs.tmpfs.swap_reserved sysctl to limit tmpfs growth.
 >=20
 > Bottom line is, that you should specify meaningful filesystem size to
 > prevent resource exhaustion.
 >=20
 > In my tests system didn't panic nor invoked OOM killer while consuming
 > nearly all available ram and swap.
 >=20
 > Patch:
 > http://marc.info/?l=3Dfreebsd-fs&m=3D129735686129438&w=3D2
 >=20
 > It also handles test case described in OpenSolaris bug report for me:
 > http://marc.info/?l=3Dfreebsd-fs&m=3D129747362722933&w=3D2
 >=20
 > Thanks,
 > Gleb.
 >=20

 --=20
 Philip M. Gollucci (pgollucci at p6m7g8.com) c: 703.336.9354
 VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
 Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
 Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
 Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

 Work like you don't need the money,
 love like you'll never get hurt,
 and dance like nobody's watching.

 --------------enig2D2A45DAF19A5900C29D42FA