ZFS on a single disk?

Dr Josef Karthauser joe at tao.org.uk
Fri Mar 4 13:49:29 UTC 2011

On 4 Mar 2011, at 13:18, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> Not to mention, as I understand it, PAE induces all *sorts* of driver
> incompatibilities and technical hurdles when it comes to the kernel.  I
> believe there are features/drivers/etc. which also do not build/work if
> PAE is used in the kernel.  If something suddenly starts acting "oddly"
> on a PAE system, it wouldn't surprise me if PAE was to blame.
>
> Joe should be aware that amd64 does offer i386 compatibility libraries
> (referred to as "lib32") so you definitely can run i386 binaries on
> amd64.

Hey Jeremy,

I don't believe that that's an issue anymore. The XEN kernel comes
configured with PAE as a default option, and I've seen elsewhere that
there is no technical problems running ZFS in a PAE environment. (The
PAE docs are out of date when they say we can't use kernel modules,
and any 64 bit aware kernel model should run with PAE with no
difficulties).

Joe