HAST, zvols, istgt and carp working...

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 1 13:36:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:35:24PM -0500, Bill Desjardins wrote:
[...]
> - zfs sparse volumes seem not to be working correctly via hast (???)

You have two options:
1. Connect both nodes _before_ doing any writes to HAST provider. This
   way HAST on first connect won't synchronize any data. In other case
   it will perform full synchronization which in turn will allocate
   entire ZVOL.
2. Turn on compression (lzjb) on ZVOLs. This should be very fast and
   when compression is on all-zeros blocks are turned into holes, so
   after synchronizing whole thing, you will see space in ZVOL allocated
   only for real data.

> - possible long rebuild time on large zvols?

HAST rebuild time depends on the traffic, not components size.

> my main question is if using hast to replicate a zvol is a supported
> configuration and what are the possible drawbacks? [...]

Well, you definiately can do it, but have you considered putting entire
pool on HAST device? This way you can have multiple ZVOLs, snapshots and
rollbacks.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com