kern/154228: [md] md getting stuck in wdrain state

Carl k0802647 at telus.net
Mon Jan 24 09:07:24 UTC 2011

On 2011-01-23 7:26 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> Not to put too fine a point on it, but doing your part in situations
> like this is part of the "cost" of "free" software.

Believe it or not, I'd actually thought I _was_ doing my part when I
spent all that time testing and trying to craft a script to make the
situation reproducible. I did what was possible in my situation.

I really am truly grateful for the "free" software, but if the "cost" is
a choice between nuking a production system or not bothering to spend
time submitting bug reports containing as much information as is
obtainable, which one will the end user choose? I know plenty of folks
that would say that's a trick question and that the correct answer is to
not use the "free" software. My turn to sharpen the point - wielding the
"free" argument as a club is a bit much when end users are willingly
doing what they can to help.

Carl                                              / K0802647