kern/154228: [md] md getting stuck in wdrain state

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 24 03:26:29 UTC 2011

On 01/23/2011 15:50, Carl wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR kern/154228; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Carl<k0802647 at telus.net>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, k0802647 at telus.net
> Subject: Re: kern/154228: [md] md getting stuck in wdrain state
> Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:08:15 -0800
>
>   Now I owe a friend a beer.

Make it a good one. :)

>   His assertion was that in submitting this bug
>   report I would incur a request to use a debugger myself, and this
>   despite me being an end user reporting a problem on a production system
>   in a remote location which other people depend on.
>
>   While it would be an interesting and educational distraction to rebuild
>   the kernel and deadlock a production system a few more times, I trust
>   it's understood why that can't happen. As such, I thought it would be
>   helpful to provide the above script so FreeBSD developers with more
>   systems at their disposal might try to reproduce the problem. Any chance
>   of that happening?

Is there _any_ chance of it? Maybe. However experience says that
problems like the one you're reporting are generally very environment
dependent, and if no one has jumped at the opportunity yet then it's not
likely to happen, or at least not soon.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but doing your part in situations
like this is part of the "cost" of "free" software.

Good luck,

Doug

			-- OK Go