[rfc] 64-bit inode numbers

Gleb Kurtsou gleb.kurtsou at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 13:11:50 UTC 2011

I've updated the patch. New version is available here:
https://github.com/downloads/glk/freebsd-ino64/freebsd-ino64-patch-2011-01-20.tgz

Changelog:
* Add fts, ftw, nftw compat shims in libc
* Place libc compat shims in separate files, don't hack original
  implementations.
* Fix dump/restore
* Use ino_t in UFS code (suggested by Kirk McKusick)
* Keep ufs_ino_t (32 bit) for boot2 not to increase size

On (04/01/2011 19:55), Kostik Belousov wrote:
> I think some more comments for each patch in the set, in addition to
> the one-line title, would be useful.
>
> No need to add regen patches, they only confuse the reader. Just add a
> note to other patches where the regen is needed.
>
> I have big doubts about 0009, since struct inoref is not on-disk struct.
Thanks.

> My impression is that the issue of extending ino_t to 64 bit is much bigger
> then presented in your patch. E.g. FTSENT (include/fts.h) explicitely
> include ino_t member. As result, there are more ABI changes that handled.
> Or, did I missed this in the patchset ?
I've missed this one, and also ftw/nftw.

> Might be, libarchive and libufs are also affected. Not sure about struct
> pidfh from libutil.
There is no symbol versioning in these libraries, SHLIB_MAJOR should be
dumped (for all libraries in the tree).

Thanks,
Gleb.