nfs and dropped udp datagrams

Robert Schulze rs at bytecamp.net
Wed Jan 12 10:23:25 UTC 2011

I wonder how big kern.ipc.maxsockbuf shall be tuned on a busy
NFS-Server. In the last time, I often see clients loosing connection to
their mounted directories. Furthermore, I see increasing counts for
upd datagrams "dropped due to full socket buffers" in netstat -s -p udp.

The mbuf situation does not seem to be the reason for the lost
connections, vmstat -z shows 0 failures in the mbuf section.

Are there any other tunables which could prevent loss of connection to
the server? What is a reasonable value for maxsockbuf?

With kind regards,
Robert Schulze