building kernel including GEOM_VINUM

Gleb Kurtsou gleb.kurtsou at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 22:49:08 UTC 2011

On (04/02/2011 14:12), Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 12:37:46 +0100
> Luca Pizzamiglio <l.pizzamiglio at bally-wulff.de> wrote:
>
> > I'm Luca and I use FreeBSD for more than one year. And I'm happy for
> > that! I'm using 7.3 and 8.1.
> > I started to use gvinum+geli and everything is fine.
> > But I've a little problem: for a specific update procedure, I need to
> > build a kernel which includes Vinum, without module.
> >

> And why do you need it in the kernel?  If you load it from /boot/loader.conf
> it will be running when the machine enters user mode.  Or don't you want to
> have any modules?
>
> > I read on FreeBSD
> > handbook that is possible (but not raccomended), but I don't find how...
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-config.html
> >
> > I missed something or GEOM_VINUM is available just as a module?
> >

> It would probably require some major hacking.  Apparently gvinum was
> designed with using it only as a KLD in mind.
The change it trivial, just add files listed in
sys/modules/geom/geom_vinum/Makefile to sys/files.
It was also necessary it tweak /sbin/gvinum to check if module loaded
during startup to eliminate useless warning (afair).

I think original author has forgotten to add option to embed gvinum into
the kernel.

Unfortunately I'm not able to find the patch I've used (it was a while
ago).

Thanks,
Gleb.