building kernel including GEOM_VINUM

Luca Pizzamiglio l.pizzamiglio at bally-wulff.de
Fri Feb 4 16:34:27 UTC 2011

Hi Gray,

On 02/04/2011 14:12, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 12:37:46 +0100
> Luca Pizzamiglio<l.pizzamiglio at bally-wulff.de>  wrote:
>
>> I'm Luca and I use FreeBSD for more than one year. And I'm happy for
>> that! I'm using 7.3 and 8.1.
>> I started to use gvinum+geli and everything is fine.
>> But I've a little problem: for a specific update procedure, I need to
>> build a kernel which includes Vinum, without module.
>>

> And why do you need it in the kernel?  If you load it from /boot/loader.conf
> it will be running when the machine enters user mode.  Or don't you want to
> have any modules?

This is an update procedure that starts with a kernel and mount an image
file as filesystem. Now they are not strictly dependent, because the
kernel is updated more often. Using modules, I've should update also the
image file putting in the updated gvinum_module.
It's not a bit deal, but I've read on the handbook that it was possible.

>> I read on FreeBSD
>> handbook that is possible (but not raccomended), but I don't find how...
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-config.html
>>
>> I missed something or GEOM_VINUM is available just as a module?
>>

> It would probably require some major hacking.  Apparently gvinum was
> designed with using it only as a KLD in mind.

Is that meanings that there's an error on handbook? How I (or we) could
improve it?

Best regards,
Luca Pizzamiglio