Restoring received properties on a received filesystem.

Marco van Tol marco at tols.org
Sun Dec 25 10:27:23 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I was experimenting was zfs send and receive, and noticed when including
all properties in the transfer the mountpoint happily comes along as
well. Ofcourse.  This could give issues when receiving the filesysyem
not into its own zpool, because mountpoint settings can collide and give
some surprises on reboots.  But then I found out that if you change a
setting on the receiving side, it will not get overwritten by future
receives, which is good. :-)

Then I started wondering how to figure out received properties on the
receiving side after overriding them.  This email from 2009 seems
relevant.
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/opensolaris-arc/2009-September/018315.html

In that mail there is mention about "zfs get -s received", which
is accepted on the commandline, but doesn't display the received
property separatedly from what is currently in effect.

Also there is mention of "zfs inherit -S", which I have tested to work,
and which is great.  It would be good to include it in the freebsd zfs
manual page, as it is a very usefull zfs inherit flag.

So, long story short:
- Is there a way to see received properties on a filesystem after they
  have been locally overrided on FreeBSD?
- Can the -S flag to inherit be included in the manual page?

Thanks, and merry christmas!

Marco

System: FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #13: Sat Dec 24 01:54:44 CET 2011
ZFS Pool Version: 28
ZFS filesystem version: 4 on the received FS, 5 for the rest

--
Als de redding het hoogst is, is de nood nabij!