Changing refcount(9) to use a refcount_t

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 23 11:29:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:47:28PM +0100, Ed Schouten wrote:
> The reason why I'm emailing this to fs@, is because this change breaks
> one of the existing file system drivers, namely ZFS. Solaris also
> implements a refcount_t, but unlike FreeBSD's, it has a more complex API
> and is 64-bits in size. Still, I suspect it's hard to overflow a 32-bit
> reference counter, right? Even if it is, we can fix this in the long run
> by making refcount_t a truly opaque object of type u_long.
>
> Can any of you ZFS user please try the following patch? Do any of you
> object if I commit it to SVN and merge it in a couple of months from
> now?

Ed, what is the purpose of the patch exactly? Is there no way to keep
ZFS as it is? Will it stop compile? Even with -std=c99?

You changing here vendor code and we still don't want to do that if
avoidable, as we want to share code with IllumOS. Unless I see strong
reasons why this is unavoidable, I do object. If that was our own code,
reducing it would be definiately welcome, but because we share the code,
we will just grow the diff against other ZFS versions out there.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com