ZFS: root pool considerations, multiple pools on the same disk

Hugo Silva hugo at barafranca.com
Thu Dec 22 12:42:25 UTC 2011

On 12/21/11 22:15, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> Until you get the dreaded "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable"
> error from the bootloader.  That appears to occur at the pool level so
> multiple BEs within the pool may not help.
>
> That said, your approach looks interesting - have you written up what
> you do and have tried booting from different roots?

I came across this during initial tests but could never reproduce it
again. Is there a root cause?

I could have reinstalled, being a new/test system and all, but a few
commands (I forgot which by now) from the mfsbsd cd did the trick.
Still, I never did get to the bottom of why it wouldn't boot.

To all others: Thanks for the input and suggestions/clarifications so far.

Regards,

Hugo