FreeBSD 9.0 and NFS async

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:13:17 UTC 2011

Johan Hendriks schreef:
> Hello all.
>
> I used to use async on my 8.x nfs servers!
> On the FreeBSD 9.0 server i can not do it through the old 8.x sysctl.
>
> Is there an other way to set async on FreeBSD 9.x
>
> regards,
> Johan Hendriks
Ok things look good after the zfs set sync=disabled on the NFS datastore.

We have a single cpu supermicro server with 16 GB mem running 9.0 RC3
And we have a HP ML 110 with 8 GB mem as standby backup server, also on
9.0 RC3
Both in the same network.

Here are the graphs.
http://doub.home.xs4all.nl/bench/iscsi-nfs.PNG

I did a clone from the SM (supermicro) ISCSI datastore to the SM NFS
datastore. grey block
I did a clone from the SM ISCSI datastore to the HP ISCSI datastore. red
block
I did a clone from the SM ISCSI datastore to the HP NFS datastore green
block (not finished but it did go steady on).

Since this is our first NAS/SAN server and vmware environment, i do not
know if this is good, but it feels ok.
But maybe we should be embarrassed with these results :D
We do not have a HP or IBM SAN solution to test agains.
And this is all over normal GB ethernet, not trunked and so on.
Also no Jumbo frames.

Thanks for the pointers all.

regards
Johan Hendriks