FreeBSD 9.0 and NFS async

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Dec 13 15:41:54 UTC 2011

Johan Hendriks wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I used to use async on my 8.x nfs servers!
> On the FreeBSD 9.0 server i can not do it through the old 8.x sysctl.
>
> Is there an other way to set async on FreeBSD 9.x

You have two choices:
1 - Apply this patch to your NFS server's kernel sources and then set
    vfs.nfsd.async=1
    http://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/async.patch

2 - switch to using the old server by setting
    oldnfs_server_enable="YES"
    in your /etc/rc.conf and then setting the sysctl.

I'll assume that you realize that doing this violates the NFS RFCs because
it runs your server in a way where there is a risk of data loss (that the
client won't know to re-write) when the server crashes.

rick