zpool failmode=continue

Peter Maloney peter.maloney at brockmann-consult.de
Tue Dec 13 14:44:45 UTC 2011

Are you using NFS or ZVOLs?

My zfs hangs (all IO) if I go into the .zfs/snapshots directory over
NFS. (planning to file a PR after I find a way to reproduce it reliably,
but it depends on specific snapshots). My workaround is to mount
/var/empty on top of the .zfs directory on the nfs client, and give
nobody else access. Another workaround I thought of is to have another
parent directory in the dataset, and share the 2nd level down which
doesn't contain the .zfs directory.

And a single dataset hangs if I rename a ZVOL snapshot (likely not the
only way to cause this): http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=161968

I am using:
FreeBSD bcnas1.bc.local 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #0: Thu Sep 29
15:06:03 CEST 2011
root at bcnas1.bc.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

On 12/13/2011 03:34 PM, Johannes Totz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is failmode=continue for zpool working correctly?
>
> I have a test pool sitting on the network (which drops out every few
> hours) but all io eventually just hangs instead of failing.
>
> To get the pool back up running (and get rid of all the hung
> processes) I always need to reboot the machine. This is on:
> FreeBSD XXX 9.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-PRERELEASE #1 r227793M: Mon Dec
> 5 22:57:54 GMT 2011     root at XXX:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>

> Johannes

Peter Maloney
Brockmann Consult
Max-Planck-Str. 2