hast+zfs and pool expansion via disk replacements

Michael DeMan freebsd at deman.com
Sat Aug 27 02:58:26 UTC 2011

Hi All,

We are thinking about trying out a 2-way or 3-way mirror for a filer based on FreeBSD, with HAST and ZFS.

With traditional ZFS for expanding capacity in what I think of as a traditional 'stripe over mirrors' - it is quite easy by replacing say 500GB disks one at a time with 2TB in a given mirrored unit.

How does this work if we are using hast?  Is it transparent?  Is it impossible?  Is it possible to do and still be 24x7 with a little bit of command line work?

Thanks,

- Mike DeMan