Why not just name the cam-ata devices the same as the old names?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 26 19:05:01 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 12:00, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> On 26.04.2011 22:46, Doug Barton wrote:
>> If that plan proves successful what I'm thinking is that I can put some
>> code in mergemaster on 9.0-RELEASE that checks for the old device names
>> in /etc/fstab and suggests that the user change them to the new names. I
>> don't generally like to give mergemaster specific knowledge of certain
>> files, but there is precedent for doing so for changes like this, and as
>> long as we are not relying on mergemaster to _fix_ the problem, I'm Ok
>> with doing it that way. So I will stay tuned to see how this develops.
>
> mergemaster usually used a bit later than it can help, i mean that we
> recommend run it after installing kernel and first reboot.

Right, that's one reason I don't want mergemaster to be the solution for
fixing this. Another is that not everyone uses it, and almost noone who
uses freebsd-update uses it.

To be clear about what I meant, assuming that there is some solution
which allows users with the old adN entries to boot with the new cam-ata
devices, mergemaster can detect this condition, and warn the user that
they should update their fstab.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go