question on extended attributes

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Wed Apr 20 22:57:14 UTC 2011

> > Hmm. NFSv4 supports the resource forks model, too. (They called them
> > named attributes.) I suppose that there would have to be some new
> > VOPs
> > though. For example, the NFSv4 server needs to be able to get all
> > the
> > attribute names, so it can generate a reply to the client (in that
> > ugly
> > readdir xdr format) and I don't think there's a way in the current
> > VFS
> > to ask "give me all the extended attribute names", is there?
>
> You mean all extended attribute names in the entire file system?
Nope. All for one object.

> That doesn't seem sensible. You can still list extended attributes of
> the given file system object with VOP_LISTEXTATTR(9).

Ok, I didn't know about this. It is probably doable then. Won't get to
it for a while though.

Thanks for the info, rick
ps: It's a fair bit of coding, because the "list" of attributes for
    an object looks like a directory, then the items can be "look'd
    up", "open'd", "read" and "written" like ordinary files.