question on extended attributes

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 20 22:25:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 05:45:58PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 08:19:36PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > > I don't believe that resource forks are available under FreeBSD at
> > > this
> > > time. Solaris supports the "subfile" concept, which is basically the
> > > same
> > > as far as I know, so it seems there might be something inside ZFS,
> > > although
> > > I suspect it isn't available for FreeBSD?
> > >
> > > Does anyone familiar with ZFS know more?
> >
> > ZFS in FreeBSD supports extended attributes based on Solaris resource
> > forks code. Take a look at the zfs_create_attrname() function in
> > sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/zfs_vnops.c to see how
> > we
> > convert the names, etc.
> >
> Hmm. NFSv4 supports the resource forks model, too. (They called them
> named attributes.) I suppose that there would have to be some new VOPs
> though. For example, the NFSv4 server needs to be able to get all the
> attribute names, so it can generate a reply to the client (in that ugly
> readdir xdr format) and I don't think there's a way in the current VFS
> to ask "give me all the extended attribute names", is there?

You mean all extended attribute names in the entire file system?
That doesn't seem sensible. You can still list extended attributes of
the given file system object with VOP_LISTEXTATTR(9).

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com