question on extended attributes

Daniel Mayfield dan at 3geeks.org
Sat Apr 16 02:06:01 UTC 2011

> Oh, I don't know if this might help, but...
>
> The Mac OS X NFS client will create a bunch of .XXX files to store
> the resource forks. So, if you NFS mounted the FreeBSD volume on
> your Mac and then copied the subtree to the NFS mount point, Mac OS X
> "might" create the fake resource fork files for you? (I'm not sure
> which Mac copy programs know about resource forks.) If this works,
> you'll see a bunch of stuff in the directories with names that start
> with ._ if I recall correctly. Not sure what you can do with them on
> FreeBSD though?

I've seen that behavior too.  My goal is have this work over ssh, as I am often accessing things remotely.  I want to be able do work on the freebsd side(read, write, move or delete files) without leaving nfs droppings all over my filesystem.

Think more along the lines of active/active working hosts than as a backup  file repository.  I'm looking for least surprise when using the freebsd side.

Daniel