new ZFS install

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Fri Apr 8 04:43:58 UTC 2011

On 4/6/11 11:15 AM, Martin Simmons wrote:

>>> Have you tried the regular FreeBSD installation ISO?  That doesn't know about
>>> ZFS by default, but you can enter Fixit mode with "Use the live filesystem
>>> CDROM/DVD" and load the modules using
>>>
>>> kldload /dist/boot/kernel/opensolaris.ko
>>> kldload /dist/boot/kernel/zfs.ko
>>
>> Thanks, that did the trick, along with repairing the boot records on
>> each disk.
>
> Good -- though it is strange the mfsBSD hung.  Does it still hang, now that
> you have repaired the system?
>

>> This server is showing some evidence of flaky hardware, and I'm looking
>> to move its data onto a new server running FreeBSD 8.2 and ZFS in all
>> partitions.
>
> Maybe that is the cause of mfsBSD hanging too?
>

>> I understand the guide I used to build the old server has been
>> deprecated. What's the recommended setup these days?
>
> I don't know -- AFAIK http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ1 is
> still accurate.

Thanks. Yes, bum hardware was the culprit.

That guide has worked well for me in the past. The only gotcha is that
upgrading between versions using freebsd-update clobbers the boot
records on each disk, and requires repair. Not a big deal but I have to
remember this issue each time a new release comes out.

dn