Fwd: Strange ZFS problem, filesystem claims to be full when clearly not full

Danny Carroll fbsd at dannysplace.net
Thu Sep 30 22:15:26 UTC 2010

 On 1/10/2010 3:08 AM, Torbjorn Kristoffersen wrote:

> If the process causing this is gone, or is working correctly (seeing
> that the fs is no longer growing, I hope),
> can dead unlinked files still remain, is there a way to purge them?

I can't remember exactly what happens and it's probably different for
each flavour of unix and *nux.
If a file is deleted, then the directory entry for the inode is
de-linked.   If it's the last link to that inode then usually that inode
is freed.

But when a process holds a handle to a file when it's deleted, then the
reclaim does not happen AFAIK until *after* the file handle is closed.

<speculation>
I wonder what happens when, if a file handle is opened for writing,
someone else comes along and truncates the file.
Perhaps a the seek position of the open handle is reset to 0, or perhaps
(not likely) a write operation after truncation would result in an error.
</speculation>

-D