Strange ZFS problem, filesystem claims to be full when clearly not full

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Sep 30 14:39:08 UTC 2010

Danny Carroll <fbsd at dannysplace.net> wrote:
 > [...]
 > It certainly smells like a process still writing to a file that is unlinked.
 > I wonder if it would show up with lsof.

If it's a file that was unlinked that is still held open by
a process, then lsof will definitely list it.  The command

# lsof +L1

lists all open files with a link count of zero.  You can
restrict it to a certain file system like this:

# lsof +aL1 /var

Of course, lsof won't list the file name because the file
doesn't have a name anymore.  But it lists the process by
name, PID and user, the file system and the file size.

Best regards
   Oliver

"IRIX is about as stable as a one-legged drunk with hypothermia
in a four-hundred mile per hour wind, balancing on a banana
peel on a greased cookie sheet -- when someone throws him an
elephant with bad breath and a worse temper."
        -- Ralf Hildebrandt