Strange ZFS problem, filesystem claims to be full when clearly not full

Thu Sep 30 08:37:02 UTC 2010

Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> (from Wed, 29 Sep
2010 15:15:49 -0700):

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:11:09AM +0200, Torbjorn Kristoffersen wrote:
>> I'm at a complete loss here. I shut down the jail completely, and I am
>> watching the jail's ZFS filesystem grow as we speak.  No process is using
>> it.   It only grows in "df" and "zfs list", I can't find any files that are
>> growing.  I have to re-set the quota to be higher and higher to accommodate
>> the space.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Torbjorn Kristoffersen <
>> torbjoern at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Jeremy.
>> >
>> > 1) I checked now, and found nothing extraordinary. Just processes
>> that have
>> > been running for a long while, such as screen, cron, sshd, bash, irssi,
>> > syslogd, etc.
>> >
>> > 2) No compression used on this zfs filesystem (or any of the others).
>> >
>> > I completedly stopped the jail now, and removed some of the directories
>> > with the most data in them, but to no avail.
>> >

>> > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com

>> is nearly

>> 02:36:49 UTC

> Andriy and Pawel,
>
> Do either of you have ideas as to what could cause the issue Torbjorn's
> experiencing?  I swear I remember some bug or quirk that got fixed with
> regards to free space on ZFS, but as has been proven time and time again
> my memory is horrible.  His kernel's 8.1-RELEASE dated July 19th.

IIRC the commit you talk about was by Martin (CCed). I do not know if
it is (already) MFCed.

I'm not sure the bug you talk about is related to what Torbjorn is
talking about. The fact that the free space is going down while the
jail is shutdown (and I assume jls does not show his JID anymore, so
all of its processes are really gone) points more to some other
process (outside of the jail) which is filling some (maybe already
deleted, so not visible anymore with du) file.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
A wide-eyed, innocent UNICORN, poised delicately in a MEADOW filled
with LILACS, LOLLIPOPS & small CHILDREN at the HUSH of twilight??