ext2fs now extremely slow

Aditya Sarawgi sarawgi.aditya at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 20:52:42 UTC 2010

[snip]
> > I see what you are saying. The gap of 8 block between the files
> > is due to the old preallocation which used to allocate additional
> > 8 blocks in advance for a particular inode when allocating a block
> > for it. The gap between blocks of the same file shouldn't be there
> > too. Both of these cases should be removed. I will look into this
> > during this week. The slowness is also due to lack of preallocation
> > in the new code.
>
> One of the GSoC students worked on a patch to add preallocation back to
> ext2fs this summer.  Would you be interested in reviewing and/or testing
> that patch?  (I've attached it).  Here is his original e-mail:
[snip]

Hi John,

I did a review of Zheng Liu's reservation window patch last week and
I suggested him a few changes. Otherwise the code looks awesome.
But it would be great if someone else can review the patch too and if
everything goes well, we should merge this to HEAD.
For the ext4 part, I still have to review his patches and I am planning
to do it soon. Zheng is planning to have a separate module for ext4,
and it does make sense. We are aiming at bringing ext4 to a usable state
for 9-RELEASE (atleast read-only).

Cheers
Aditya Sarawgi