Still getting kmem exhausted panic

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Tue Sep 28 12:37:28 UTC 2010

on 28/09/2010 14:50 Jeremy Chadwick said the following:
> I believe the trick -- Andriy, please correct me if I'm wrong -- is the

Wouldn't hurt to CC me, so that I could do it :-)

> tuning of vfs.zfs.arc_max, which is now a hard limit rather than a "high
> watermark".

Not sure what you mean here.
What is hard limit, what is high watermark, what is the difference and when is
"now"? :-)

I believe that "the trick" is to set vm.kmem_size high enough, eitehr using this
tunable or vm.kmem_size_scale.

> However, I believe there have been occasional reports of exhaustion
> panics despite both of these being set[1].  Those reports are being
> investigated on an individual basis.

I don't believe that the report that you quote actually demonstrates what you say
it does.
Two quotes from it:
"During these panics no tuning or /boot/loader.conf values where present."
"Only after hitting this behaviour yesterday i created boot/loader.conf"

--
Andriy Gapon