GPT partition type (GUID) for (g)journal provider partition

Carl k0802647 at telus.net
Thu Sep 23 09:49:24 UTC 2010

On 2010-09-23 12:50 AM, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> freebsd-ufs seems pretty generic. All other FreeBSD GUIDs seem to have
> a more special function than freebsd-ufs. Why not freebsd-ufs?

If such a partition came prior to the root partition, it would screw up
booting, I think. But beyond that? That's the problem - I don't know.
Are GPT partition types so meaningless that it's benign to
mis-categorize a non-UFS partition as UFS? If so, maybe swiping one from
an unrelated OS (eg. Linux swap) is better than possibly upsetting
something UFS-related?

> The GUIDs known to FreeBSD are defined in /usr/include/sys/gpt.h.

Thanks. I was looking for that too.

> I guess the GUIDs are defined in co-operation with the UEFI organization
> and the applicant organization, for example the FreeBSD project.

I presume so, but is that information deemed confidential to
members/licensees of UEFI only?

Carl                                             / K0802647