Oracle to deny deduplication?

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 19:12:36 UTC 2010

I was poking at a few things today as I was waiting for "zfs update
-r" to finish ... which included investigating which zfs features were
related to which versions.  I was looking for a nice table.  On the
way to finding a nice table, I crossed this partially complete
freebsd-centric table:
http://old.nabble.com/ZFS-version-info-td27466164.html ... note from
here that deduplication features are introduced in version 21.
Something I noticed because I follow -current and I'm interested in
the feature.

Shortly thereafter I found a nice table (here:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/appendixa-1?a=view )

... now notice that the official Oracle table lists version 21 of
zpool as "Reserved" ... this worries me.  Is the solution to the
lawsuit against Sun by NetApp (that Oracle settled) that Oracle burys
deduplication?  This could be bad for people who unbury it.