what happens to pool if ZIL dies on ZFS v14

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 16:17:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Gil Vidals <gvidals at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bryan thank you for the detailed answer.
>
> Assuming the ZIL SSD died, what steps would I follow to recover the pool? (i
> hope it is recoverable).

If you are running ZFSv1 through ZFSv18 and your log device dies, your
pool is dead, gone, unrecoverable, no secret prize, no continues, do
not pass go, etc, etc, etc.

If you are running ZFSv19 or newer and your log device dies, you can
remove the dead device and carry on.  You will lose any data that was
in the ZIL, but the pool will be intact.

Simple as that.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com