Weird Linux - FreeBSD/ZFS NFSv4 interoperability problem

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Fri Sep 10 23:32:41 UTC 2010

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca>
> wrote:
> > Please try the attached patch, which changes the macro so that it
> > compares the entire "struct fid". (I think that is safe, since I
> > bzero() the entire structure before calling VOP_VPTOFH().)
> >
> > Again, thanks for sending the packet traces and, hopefully, this
> > patch will do the trick, rick
>
> Rick, after doing some testing I'm pretty confident that this patch
> (nfsdport.patch) has solved both the original problem and the I/O
> error problem.
>
> I'm glad I could help. I know how tricky to debug these
> interoperability problems can be.

Ok, thanks for testing it. I've just committed it to head.

Maybe you'd like to test one other thing? (Not exactly interop.
testing)?

A couple of people have reported very slow read rates for the NFSv4
client (actually the experimental client, since they see it for
NFSv3 too). If you could easily do the following, using a FreeBSD8.1
or newer client:
# mount -t nfs -o nfsv4 <any-server>:/path <mnt-path>
- cd to anywhere in the mount that has a 100Mbyte+ file
# dd if=<100Mbyte+ file> of=/dev/null bs=1m

and then report what read rate you see along with the client's
machine-arch/# of cores/ram size/network driver used by the mount

rick
ps: Btw, anyone else who can do this test, it would be appreciated.
    If you aren't set up for NFSv4, you can do an NFSv3 mount using
    the exp. client instead.
    # mount -t newnfs -o nfsv3 <any-server>:/path <mnt-path>