ZFS related kernel panic

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Sep 10 14:11:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 02:39:00PM +0100, a.smith at ukgrid.net wrote:
> Quoting Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua>:
>

> >Try to add the following options to your kernel:
> >options         KDB
> >options         KDB_TRACE
> >
> >With these a backtrace should be printed before dumping and you
> >should be able
> >take a picture of your screen.
> >
> >--
> >Andriy Gapon
> >

> Hi,
>
>   So far I have got this additional info from the console when the
> server panics:
>
> cpuid = 0
> Uptime: 19m57s
> Sleeping thread (tid 100024, pid12) owns a non-sleepable lock
> panic: sleeping thread
> cpuid = 0
> Uptime: 19m57s
> kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled
>
> then follows the same text I originally posted...
> Im going to run this again and try check if any other info is
> printed but scrolled off the top of the screen...

What we're looking for is something that resembles what's shown here
(using this as an example):

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-xen@freebsd.org/msg00413.html

The KDB and KDB_TRACE options should result in a backtrace automatically
being shown when the system panics.  Are you absolutely certain your
kernel config has the options Andriy provided, and you rebuilt +
reinstalled the kernel?