Weird Linux - FreeBSD/ZFS NFSv4 interoperability problem

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Sep 8 22:41:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca>
>> wrote:
>> > So, please try the attached little patch that just disables the
>> > server
>> > check for this case for Close. (The line #s will be different than
>> > 8.1, but all it is doing is commenting out the test for this case in
>> > nfsrv_openupdate(), if the patch won't apply directly.)
>>
>> This seems to have changed the problem. Now I get the following error
>> during checkouts:
>>
>> svn: In directory 'documentation/software-notes'
>> svn: Can't copy
>> 'documentation/software-notes/.svn/tmp/text-base/directory-server-install-notes.txt.svn-base'
>> 'documentation/software-notes/.svn/tmp/directory-server-install-notes.txt.tmp.tmp':
>> Input/output error
>>
>> I don't see any related errors in the syslog on the client or server.
>>
>> This is on FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE; I'm going to try to test with 9 later
>> today.
>>
> Ok, if you feel like emailing me another packet capture, I can look and
> see where the EIO is being returned.

OK, here's another packet capture.  I spent some time trying to find
the minimal checkout that would demonstrate the problem, in order to
minimize the size of the capture.

It turns out checking out several zero-length files will not trigger
the problem.  (It would, however, trigger the original issue the patch
was trying to solve.)  Checking out a single file with some text in it
works, though, so this is a checkout of a single file called "a.txt"
inside a directory called "bsd-test".