consistent file system inconsistencies (tried replacing drive)

Scott Charron shewless at unleashed-web.org
Thu Oct 14 23:50:33 UTC 2010

Hello,

I posted this on the USB mailing list but perhaps it is better in the
filesystem section.

Details are below.

Basically I'm noticing that _every_ time my PC loses power (IE from a power
loss) my filesystem becomes corrupt and I see this:

Unexpected inconsistency; Run fsck manually
Automatic file system check failed; help!
ERROR ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode

I understand that there could be some problems with a power loss, but I am
surprised that this drastic measure of going into single user mode must be
taken.   I have another FreeBSD server that experiences the same power
outages and it has _never_ ever gone into single user mode because of it.

My server that experiences the problem is running off a USB stick (a fast
one)
My server that does not experience the problem is running off a CF card
(relatively fast)

This is why I initially thought it might be a USB related issue.

...I'm willing to try anything and post more details... please help!

Acer H340
FreeBSD 8.1 release (minimum install) on a 4GB usb memory stick.
/: 512MB
/var: 512MB
/usr: ~3GB
ZFS enabled, but only for the 4 sata drives that do NOT house the OS at all

Thank you,

Details below: