Locked up processes after upgrade to ZFS v15

Kai Gallasch gallasch at free.de
Sun Oct 10 22:00:31 UTC 2010

Am 10.10.2010 um 10:29 schrieb Andriy Gapon:

> on 09/10/2010 16:37 Kai Gallasch said the following:
>> I must repeat. I offer my help if someone wants to dig into the locking problem.
>
> Kai,
>
> I would like to look into this.
> Can you provide shell access to a system that exhibits the behavior?
> Or even better serial console for remote debugging, if possible.

Andriy, glad to hear this :) I can give you root access and serial console access to a secondary server, that also showed the same lockups, like the big server.

I'll mail you the details.

> Also, can you first try with the very latest stable/8 or even head?

Yes, I can do so if it's what you want, but wouldn't you loose the chance to identify the real reason for the lockups?

If a new kernel with your changes to ZFS sources makes the locking situation disappear, could we be sure that the real reason for the stuck, unkillable processes was fixed?

My proposal: I'll do my best to trigger the known bug on the current kernel and let you know. You have a look at this and when you are done gathering data I'll build a new kernel and see if the problem persists.

> I have recently MFC-ed a few improvements to ZFS code.

The server you will connect to runs on a 8.1-STABLE from Mon Oct  4 01:19:41 CEST 2010.
So your commits were after Oct 4th?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/?sortby=date#dirlist

Or is this the wrong place in the src tree?

Kai.