moving away from freebsd and zfs

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sat Oct 9 21:34:40 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 03:00:28AM -0700, Gil Vidals wrote:
> > The solution described here,
> > http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=11873 points to compiling
> > kernel with these options:
> >
> >  options NFSD
> >  options DEVICE_POLLING
> >  options HZ=1000
> >
> > The NFSD seems to be what solved the problem for the forum poster,
> > but NFSD
> > option means that NFSv4 (experimental) is what is running and that
> > isn't
> > supported by the VMware NFS client, so I can't use it. I don't know
> > what to
> > do and I would be grateful for any suggestions.
>
> I haven't got much experience with nfs4, sorry. :)
>
> Marco

The experimental NFS server (NFSD) handles NFSv2 and NFSv3 as well as
NFSv4, so it should be usable for this. I've also pointed Gil to the
patch at:
   http://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/freebsd8.1-patches/replay.patch
which I believe might fix his problem w.r.t. the regular server.
(pjd@ has a nicer one, but they both fix the same problem)

rick