ext2fs now extremely slow

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 18 18:04:04 UTC 2010

On 11/08/2010 09:43, Aditya Sarawgi wrote:

> I have attached the patch.

Finally got a chance to test it. There was a huge .rej file for
_alloc.c, so I regenerated the patch against HEAD:
http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/ext2fs_prealloc-r215457.diff

In light testing so far it seems ok, and it is slightly better from a
performance standpoint, but still not as fast as 8.1. My test is
csup'ing the ports tree without using -s. Admittedly that's a rather
non-scientific test in that the network affects it, however I'm on a
pretty fast link, and I'm forcing IPv4 just to be safe. This is the use
case

Times in seconds:
8.1 averages around 300
HEAD pre-patch average around 450
HEAD post-patch average around 370

So a good improvement to be sure, but still a ways to go.

Doug

			-- OK Go