ext2fs now extremely slow

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Nov 12 22:35:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> May make the data inconsistent due to lack of facilities like journaling.
>
> Well that's just plain unacceptable. Either the fs works reliably (which
> obviously includes safely) or it should be removed. At bare minimum if it
> can't reliably write data then support should be changed to read-only.

ext2fs has never included journaling, so if you lose power while
you're writing to it, it will be inconsistent and need to be fsck'd.
This isn't unique to the FreeBSD implementation; it's just part of the
design.  Most Linux systems now use ext3fs, which is basically ext2
with journaling added.

I kind of share Aditya's perspective that what you're trying to do is
a bit odd, although it might be a good way to squash bugs.  Still,
what's next...trying to run make world on an msdos filesystem? ;)