Minor problem re-mounting ext2fs system

Aditya Sarawgi sarawgi.aditya at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 17:43:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Even after a clean shutdown I get this error at nearly every reboot:
>
> kernel: last write time is in the future.
> kernel: (by less than a day, probably due to the hardware clock being
> incorrectly set).
> kernel: FIXED.

The ext2fs superblock (the structure that keeps summary and important
information for the filesystem) has one of the field has timestamp.
Now clearly it doesn't make any sense
for the filesystem getting mounted to have a future timestamp. It
regards this has inconsistency and hence you need to fsck it. You need
to figure out why is it taking a
future timestamp.
You can analyse the superblock by dumpe2fs from e2fsprogs.

> It does get fixed, but it requires the fsck program from e2fsprogs to do it.
>

> Doug
>
> --
>
>        Nothin' ever doesn't change, but nothin' changes much.
>                        -- OK Go
>
>        Breadth of IT experience, and depth of knowledge in the DNS.
>        Yours for the right price.  :)  http://SupersetSolutions.com/

Cheers,
Aditya Sarawgi