Using an SSD "disk" for /

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 3 18:04:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Pete French <petefrench at ticketswitch.com> wrote:
> I boot a server from a Compact Flash drive connected to a CF->SATA
> adaptor. Its only 4GB, enough to boot, and then all my read/write
> partititons come from several terrabytes of attached zpool. It
> works excellently, and was very cheap to setup. Performance is
> fine as you are almost never writing to the flash drive. The only
> time I notice the slowdown is when doing an installworld or installkernel.
>
> -pete.

When you set up your disks like this, where do you put your swap?

For my home ZFS server - which has a tank with two raidz pools, each
with 6 disks in - I partitioned the first 6 disks into 2 partitions, a
6 GB chunk at the start, and the remaining data used for zfs. I then
use 3 of the disks first partition in a gmirror UFS root partition,
and the other 3 as swap.

Cheers

Tom