ext2fs now extremely slow

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 2 23:51:07 UTC 2010

On 09/29/10 13:25, Aditya Sarawgi wrote:
> [snip]
>>> I see what you are saying. The gap of 8 block between the files
>>> is due to the old preallocation which used to allocate additional
>>> 8 blocks in advance for a particular inode when allocating a block
>>> for it. The gap between blocks of the same file shouldn't be there
>>> too. Both of these cases should be removed. I will look into this
>>> during this week. The slowness is also due to lack of preallocation
>>> in the new code.
>>
>> One of the GSoC students worked on a patch to add preallocation back to
>> ext2fs this summer.  Would you be interested in reviewing and/or testing
>> that patch?  (I've attached it).  Here is his original e-mail:
> [snip]
>
> Hi John,
>
> I did a review of Zheng Liu's reservation window patch last week and
> I suggested him a few changes. Otherwise the code looks awesome.
> But it would be great if someone else can review the patch too and if
> everything goes well, we should merge this to HEAD.
> For the ext4 part, I still have to review his patches and I am planning
> to do it soon. Zheng is planning to have a separate module for ext4,
> and it does make sense. We are aiming at bringing ext4 to a usable state
> for 9-RELEASE (atleast read-only).

Is anything happening with this?  I recently built a new system that is
multi-booting windows, freebsd, and ubuntu. I chose ext[23]fs for my
/home partition so that I could share unix'y stuff between freebsd and
linux, but I'm having both performance and stability problems, and today
(fortunately for the first time, and fortunately recoverable) I had
actual data loss. I'm happy to be a guinea pig for new code if people
are reasonably sure that it will help, but if the situation doesn't
improve I will have to reformat.

On a related note, is there any way to use the journaling features of
ext3fs in FreeBSD? When I boot the linux partition it's treating the fs
as ext3fs, but AFAICS we only have ext2fs capabilities.

FWIW, the reason I chose ext2fs is that linux doesn't have reliable r/w
support for ufs, and there are really good drivers to mount ext2fs
partitions in windows; which we also don't have for ufs.

Doug

			-- OK Go