Trying to understand the boot process

Pierre Lamy pierre at userid.org
Mon May 31 01:16:54 UTC 2010

I've got a nice little Atom box with a CF and hard drive, and I can
currently boot NanoBSD off the flash no problem.

I would like to optionally select the HD as a bootable device, and it
does show up in the boot:

1  FreeBSD
3  FreeBSD
5  Drive 1

Now, I have already set a slice and put /boot in ad4s1a, and FreeBSD is
manually installed out of a chroot'ed install (tar'd on seperate system
and extracted correctly to the appropriate local HD filesystem) but I
can't figure out how to actually get it booted, it seems to be missing
the MBR?

I have already RTFM, and used bsdlabel -B ad4s1, and also tried fdisk
-B. I simply get the "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert
boot media..." message.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My second question is how to label the boot options so that 1 says
NanoBSD, 3 doesn't show up at all, and 5 days FreeBSD.

-Pierre