ZFS: how to replace a dead disk?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri May 28 13:49:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 08:36:38AM -0500, James R. Van Artsdalen wrote:
> What's the right way to replace a dead disk under ZFS?
>
> When ada1 failed I tried "zpool replace jwrc ada1" and when it finished
> I got this:
>
> root at cyclone ~]# zpool status
>   pool: jwrc
>  state: DEGRADED
> status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
>     corruption.  Applications may be affected.
> action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
>     entire pool from backup.
>    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
>  scrub: resilver completed after 14h55m with 11 errors on Fri May 28
> 04:28:56 2010
> config:
>
>     NAME            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>     jwrc            DEGRADED     0     0    11
>       raidz1        DEGRADED     0     0    23
>         ada2        ONLINE       0     0     0  889M resilvered
>         replacing   DEGRADED     0     0     0
>           ada1/old  UNAVAIL      0  256K     0  cannot open
>           ada1      ONLINE       0     0     0  1.47T resilvered
>         ada3        ONLINE       0     0     0  879M resilvered
>         ada4        ONLINE       0     0     0  808M resilvered
>
> errors: 5 data errors, use '-v' for a list
>
> ---
>
> It says "replacing" and that the device, vdev and pool are degraded, yet
> the "resilver" finished hours ago.  I cannot detach the ada1/old entry.
>
> Is there some other command I should have used to remove the dead ada1
> device?

What version of FreeBSD?  Please provide uname -a output and not "8.0"
or something equally as terse.

Some clarification: you didn't remove the device, you simply told ZFS to
assuming that the device had been replaced.

What did you do (both physically and software/command-line-wise) *prior*
to issuing "zpool replace jwrc ada1"?