UFS Journaling gone south

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Mon May 17 17:38:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com>wrote

> Prior to rebooting, I checked and I did have da0s1f.journal and
> da0s1g.journal and the da0s2d and da0s2e devices, after the reboot and the
> panic, I check /dev and the seem to have reverted back to da0s1f and
> da0s1g... and da0s2d and da0s2e have also gone AWOL... :-w
>
> fortunately, this is a new installation on which I want to test journal
> devices. I'll do this again, reserving some sectors on both partitions.

I must admit, this has me hands down. I have entered custom newfs flags on
sysinstall (-r 2, 4, and 8).

With a test on these sector sizes to be reserved at the end of the disk,
gjournal label da0s1f da0s2d still says that I need to use -f to overwrite.
I do so and end up with journal devices, but when I reboot... the journal
devices and the journal providers are missing.

I have even done -J flag on the newfs options in sysinstall but I end up
with the same results... no journal devices are created and I end up with a
kernel panic and into single usermode. There are no journal devices created.
Mounting the disks fails with: warning: GJOURNAL flag on fs but no gjournal
provider below.

Am I doing all this wrong, Am I missing something?

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.